Tuesday, May 18, 2010

we are not our parents.

From the title, you night think this is going to be some emotional post about not turning into my mother. But no - actually I'd love to be like her when I'm her age. Her house looks fantastic and she has great arms.

What this post is about is what she was like when she was my age. Or where most of our parents were at my current age. When my mom turned 29, she had a 6-year-old (my sister) and a 6-month-old (me). I have two cats and a dog and even that is a bit too much responsibility.

What happened? When did this generation decide not to get married young, have 2.5 kids and a set career path and a house and a station wagon? I'm certainly not complaining, I just find it interesting. Most of my friends are not married. A couple have kids, but they're the exception to the rule. As a homeowner, I'm also an exception to the rule. We all seem to switch jobs every couple of years - those of us who aren't freelance, anyway.

I honestly don't know if I'll ever have kids - and I'm totally okay with that. Luckily, so is my mom. She tells me often that my sister and I shouldn't ever feel like we need to give her grandchildren.

I don't think my dad feels the same way (he loves babies), so I just don't bring it up. And besides, he has Bear - isn't that enough of a grandchild? For now and for the foreseeable future, it is definitely enough for me.

1 comment:

Cash said...

I've found that true for my friends, plus or minus a year.

But, even stranger, if you take away three-four years, to the children of 1984, they're breeding like rabbits, married, and often owning houses.

What made us so reluctant to put down roots?