Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fried Chicken and Entropy

Why is it so hard to do things that are good for us, and so easy to be bad?  

It sounds like a stupid question, and maybe it is, but think about it - losing weight, quitting smoking, exercising regularly, learning something new - all of these things require discipline and commitment.  Whereas eating fried chicken and chainsmoking while sitting on the couch watching The Starter Wife is oooooh soooooo easy.  I guess it follows the law of entropy...as I learned it in some science class years ago, it's about a gazillion times more likely that a pyramid of cans will topple into a pile than that a pile of cans will spontaneously form a pyramid (I'm not a scientist, folks - I'm sure there is a better explanation than that, but I'm proud that I even remembered the word "entropy").  But why?  I guess it has to do with growth, and change, and becoming a better person, and all sorts of other lofty things.  It just seems like the deck is stacked.    

I pushed myself beyond my normal limit on my hike this morning - ran about 1/3 of the way, finished the 6-mile hike in an hour and forty minutes (previously, my fastest time was about two hours, just walking).  It felt good.  I was telling my mom I feel like my brain thinks my body can work harder than it actually can - my mind is ready to run the whole thing, but my legs aren't agreeing.  Which is a good thing, I suppose: my mind is willing.   I'm sure my legs will catch up eventually.  

No comments: